Easy Blueberry Scones made with Greek yogurt, blueberries, lemon and brown sugar. This recipe includes how to make instructions and tips for light fluffy scones.
The first time I made these scones I ended up with a flat sheet cake. I had not found the correct balance of yogurt and I did not cut them apart before baking. Here are some tips I wished I had known the first time:
- Don’t overwork the dough, but sieve the flour at least three times.
- Cut the scones apart before baking.
- Use parchment paper to line the cookie sheet so they don’t burn on their bottom.
- Don’t melt your butter. Grate the cold butter, the scones will rise higher when baking.
Whether you prefer your scones with tea or coffee. Whip these easy blueberry scones up and enjoy!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 ⅓ cups Greek nonfat yogurt
- ½ cup blueberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon Turbindao sugar (for the tops)
- Prep the ingredients: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Grate the butter and place it in the freezer so it stays chilled. Wash and dry the blueberries. Zest and juice the lemon. Sieve the flour at least three times, if you have enough time five sieves is even better. The scones will have a lighter texture.
- Make the Blueberry Scones: In a bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, and zest with a whisk. Add in the yogurt, vanilla, lemon juice and blueberries. Stir five times and add butter. Move the dough to a floured surface and flatten out with a rolling pin. Cut the scones into triangles or 2-inch circles.
- Bake the scones: Place the scones closely together on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Sprinkle the tops with Turbinado sugar. Bake at 425 degrees for 5 minutes and then reduce the heat to 400 degrees for 10 minutes. The high temperature for five minutes will help the scones to rise and not spread out. Serve the blueberry scones warm.
Don’t miss a post! Follow along with social media!