Chicken Parmigiana with parmesan-breaded chicken topped with mozzarella cheese baked to a bubbly golden brown. Delicious and Easy Chicken Parm!
Chicken Parmesan is a classic and easy recipe to make. However, the first time I made it in college, it was a disaster. I had invited a guy over for dinner and wanted to try to make something new. DUN DUN DUUUUN!!! Needless to say, it is not a good idea to try something new when you want to impress someone. I ended up with a broken wine bottle top, a gash in my finger, a ringing doorbell and me trying to hide the wine bottle in the laundry room. Why the laundry room? It seemed like a good idea at the time till I needed to explain why there were wine glasses out and no bottle of wine. Fortunately, since then Chicken Parmigiana and I have become friends.
- 4 thinly sliced chicken breasts
- 1 egg with a pinch of salt
- ½ cup Italian Panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup olive oil for frying
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon finely grated carrot
- ¼ cup dry red wine (such as a Petite Sirah)
- 2 15 oz cans tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Pinch of sugar
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Mozzarella Cheese
- 8 oz linguine
- Prep the ingredients: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Finely chop half of an onion which should be about a 1 cup. Grated a carrot till you have 1 tablespoon. Mix ½ cup Parmesan cheese and ½ cup panko bread crumbs and place on a plate. Dip the thinly sliced chicken in the egg and coat with the Parmesan- Italian breadcrumb mixture.
- Fry the chicken: In a 12 inch oven safe skillet, heat ¼ cup olive oil and fry the chicken for 3-4 minutes on each side. When the chicken has browned, remove from the pan and place on a paper towel. Wipe out the pan to make the sauce.
- Make the sauce: Before you start to make the sauce, heat water in a pot to cook the linguine. In the same skillet, add a tablespoon of olive oil to heat. Saute the garlic, onion, and grated carrot for 3 minutes, After 3 minutes pour in ¼ cup red wine. Let it simmer for 1 minute, then add the tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, sugar, and red pepper flakes. Let the sauce simmer on low for 5-10 minutes.
- Bake the Chicken Parmigiana: Layer the fried chicken on top of the sauce in the 12 oven skillet. Slice the mozzarella and cover the top of the chicken. Before you put the chicken in the oven, add the linguine to the hot water and cook per the directions on the box. Bake the chicken in the oven, for 10 minutes till the cheese has melted. Serve with cooked linguine.
Don’t forget to follow Pantry Full of Recipes on Twitter. Or you can enter your email address in the right hand sidebar to receive a weekly recipe roundup.