Eggplant Rollatini are baked roll ups stuffed with ricotta cheese, mozzarella, and pesto sauce. Before baking, the eggplant is fried with Parmesan cheese.
Honestly, Eggplant Rollatini is a very time consuming dish. It is the type of entree that you make when you have plenty of time, to play music and drink wine while you are cooking. Just know that when you start you will be committed to an hour and thirty minutes in the kitchen. This recipe is well worth the work, it tastes great and is worthy of a special occasion.
- 1 eggplant, sliced lengthwise
- 2 eggs
- ⅛ salt
- 1 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese
- ¼ cup olive olive for frying
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup pesto sauce
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon finely grated carrot
- ¼ cup dry red wine (such as a Petite Sirah)
- 2 15 oz cans tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Pinch of sugar
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Prep the ingredients: Wash and grate the carrot. Finely chop the garlic and the onion. Cut the top and bottom off the eggplant so that it will stand upright and slice the eggplant lengthwise. The slices should be about ¼ inch. Place the eggplant in a bowl of cold water. In a bowl, mix, the ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese and pesto sauce. Set the cheese mixture back in the fridge till you are ready to use.
- Fry the Eggplant: Mix the Parmesan cheese and panko bread crumbs on a plate. On another plate, mix the eggs and the salt. Remove the eggplant from the cold water and pat dry with a paper towel. Dip the eggplant in the egg and then coat with Parmesan panko mixture. Heat the ¼ olive oil and cook the eggplant 3-4 minutes on medium heat. Once golden brown, place the eggplant on a paper towel to drain. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Make the sauce: Wipe out the pan you used to fry the eggplant. Add the teaspoon of olive oil and saute the onion, garlic and carrot for 3 minutes on medium heat. Add the tomato sauce, red wine and stir. Reduce the heat and allow the sauce to simmer. Pour ⅔ cup of the sauce in a baking dish.
- Roll the Eggplant: Spread the pesto cheese mixture across the eggplant. Then roll from the bottom the eggplant to the top. Place the eggplant rollatini in the baking dish on top of the sauce. Sprinkle some more mozzarella cheese on top of the eggplant.
- Bake the Eggplant Rollatini: Bake, covered with aluminum foil at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Serve: Serve with linguine and bread.
Don’t miss a post! Follow along with social media!