Easy Homemade Red Enchilada Sauce from scratch with cumin, cayenne, chili powder, and cocoa powder.
Homemade Enchilada Sauce can be used in your enchiladas, Mexican lasagna, casseroles, burritos, tacos and soup. With this Enchilada Sauce it is a good idea to start with a low measurement of cayenne spice and increase the amounts based your taste. If you don’t want any heat, leave the cayenne spice out of the recipe.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons Flour
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
- ⅓ cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- Make the Homemade Red Enchilada Sauce: In a sauce pot, heat the vegetable oil on medium heat. Once the oil heats a bit, using a whisk, mix in the flour and stir. Pour in the chicken broth and the tomato paste. Let the sauce warm and reduce the heat to low. Add the spices- chili powder, garlic, cumin, cayenne, salt, oregano, onion powder, and cocoa powder. Let the sauce thicken on low heat. Use in your favorite Mexican recipe.
- Storage: You can store the sauce in the fridge for a week.
Don’t miss a post! Follow along with social media