Pasta e Fagioli, aka “pasta fazzool” is an Italian soup made with cannellini beans, ditalini pasta, tomato sauce, oregano, and basil.
Pasta e Fagioli is a soothing and warming soup. With the fresh basil in the soup your kitchen will smell heavenly. Pasta e Fagioli has many names such as pasta fazzool, pasta and beans, and “that olive garden soup”. No matter what you call it, this hearty Italian soup will warm you up during the winter.
- 1 ½ cup Ditalini Pasta
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ½ pound ground chuck
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 cups no-salt added tomato sauce
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 15 oz can Cannellini Beans
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- ½ tablespoon thyme
- ½ cup torn fresh basil leaves
Garnish with Parmesan cheese
- Prep the ingredients: In a pot, heat water to cook the Ditalini pasta. Wash and chop the carrots and celery. Finely chop the onion.
- Cook the beef and pasta: Add the Ditalini Pasta to the boiling water. Since the pasta will continue to cook in the soup, undercook the pasta by 3 minutes. While the pasta is cooking, in a saute pan, cook the ground chuck, onion, carrots, celery for 7-10 minutes. Season the beef with the salt and pepper.
- Make the Pasta e Fagioli soup: Drain the pasta in a colander. In the same pot you cooked the pasta, heat the tablespoon of olive oil and saute the garlic till it begins to brown. Add the ground chuck and vegetables to the pot. Add the cannellini beans, chicken broth and tomato sauce. Stir in the oregano, thyme and torn fresh basil leaves, and pasta. Let the soup cook on low for 10 minutes.
- Garnish: Garnish with Parmesan cheese and serve.
Don’t miss a post! Follow along with social media