Tres Leches Cake is a sponge cake soaked in three varieties of milk and topped with a whipped cream frosting.
I was extremely skeptical about this cake and how it would taste. Tres Leches Cake is a sponge cake soaked in three kinds of milk. Tres Leches is Spanish for three milks. For this recipe I used evaporated, sweetened condensed, and unsweetened coconut milk. I absolutely love this cake. It is light and tasty and not soggy at all, which was one my of the main concerns. The next time I make this recipe I will try Caramelize Milk Dulce de Leche on top of the cake instead of the whipped cream frosting.
- 1½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 eggs, separate the whites and yolk into separate bowls
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ⅔ cup evaporated milk
- 1 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- ⅔ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
Whipped Cream Frosting
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 cups heavy cream, divided
- Prep the ingredients: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In two bowls, separate your egg whites from the egg yolks. In a mixing bowl, measure out the flour, baking powder, and ½ cup coconut milk.
- Make the Tres Leches Cake Batter: Mix ½ cup sugar with the egg yolks. Combine the egg yolks with the flour mix. Beat the egg whites with a mixer until peaks form, then mix in the other ½ cup sugar. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter. Pour the batter into a greased 9x13 inch baking pan. Bake the cake at 350 degrees for thirty (30) minutes. Once the cake is done, remove from the oven, let it cool, then using a fork create little holes in the top of the cake.
- Make the Milk Glaze: Combine the evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, and unsweetened coconut milk, and vanilla extract. Pour the milk glaze over the cake and let it sit for thirty (30) minutes till the cake has absorbed the milk.
- Make the Whipped Cream Frosting: Using a mixer, on high mix the cream and the powdered sugar till it has formed whipped cream.
Don’t miss a post! Follow along with social media!